Sunday 28 October 2007

Group 1 – Suhler Werkstatten

Gonzalo –Today we did spice packing and completed the work on time i.e. before we finished at 2.00pm.
Catherine – Day was fun. I enjoyed getting on with my work independently. I found the work relaxing.
Asha – Work hard, good (Asha was able to work without much assistance, she remembered to count 4 pieces of spice and turn the package around to put 4 more on the other side, and then asking if she did good).
John K – Day was brilliant working with the team. I finished my job and completed 2 boxes of spices. At the end of my working day, I tidied up my work area, ready of Monday. And I asked my Supervisor if we would be given more work Monday (the answer was yes). The team would like to present Steffan (our supervisor) a gift on our last working day (Tuesday) as a thank you for looking after us at the placement.
John W – Day brilliant. I worked on my own and completed 4 boxes for the spices. Our job was to fill packages with 8 spices made up of 1 larger one and 3 smaller. As I could not locate many larger spices my supervisor said that I could use 5 smaller ones and 3 larger spices.
Asha – Good, work good.
Linda – Amazing that the team worked very well and independently after 1 full day (9:00 – 2:00). We have a short break in the morning at about 11:15, and a 30 minute lunch break at 12:15. None of the team grumbles or moans about our shift and accept that this is structure of our work placement. Many of our German co-workers make an effort to visit our work area to say hello and make conversation. Our supervisor is happy to translate as we are still getting to grips with the language. One guy asked if any of the group liked horses. He was happy to share a beautifully illustrated book on horses which each of us took turns in looking out (from the smile on his face he seemed very happy to have communicated with us). We have been made very welcome at our work placement and we all have been accepted as a team player. And the best part is that the students are doing real work that has an end product, and they are learning to be responsible in the work place. This evening Judith and I went to the supermarket to buy and later cook this evening’s dinner (we have the entire accommodation to ourselves so we can cook for ourselves), We saw what will be the end product ‘SPICES FOR SALE’ – saffron, anis, cinnamon, vanilla etc.


Group 2 - Schleusingen

Kerry Ann – I enjoyed putting the bulbs we started making yesterday into bags. I like working, just to get on with it and without talking. I love my work experience, I have a good attitude we filled so many boxes. I keep asking Herr Glodiß for more bags. He can not believe how good and fast we are working. I just like to get on with it. This time when I asked him for more he brought 3 packs for bags, this made him smile. This work experience placement has been the time of my life. I love working.
Scott– It has been all right, I was using the drill again. I enjoyed it. I would be happy to do this for a living as it was fun.
Jagdeep – I enjoyed the work today. We had to put a red light and white light and a bit that goes on to the wheel of a bike (this makes the lights go on when you pedal), into clear plastic bags. I like the shower in our house, we shower and we wash our hair in the evening. If we did this in the morning and the went out with damp or wet hair, it would freeze and make us ill.
Martina – I stayed home today to look after Sean and it was boring. In the afternoon we went to the local shops to look around.
Sean– I did not feel to well when I woke this morning. I went back to bed and felt better later. In the afternoon I went for a walk and felt much better and went to the shop.
Judith – Each of the Social Enterprises where our learners have been doing their placements, offer employment opportunities, predominantly for people with a wide range of learning difficulties and disabilities. Work programmes are calculated to meet the individual needs of the employees, in terms of their contracted hours (full or part time), associated payments, tasks and responsibilities given. In addition both social enterprises offer vocational training in order to support the needs of their employees. The also have access to physical activities (on and off site) and emotional and social support from professionals again on site. Breakfast and lunch are provided to meet any dietary requirements at no extra cost.
Both Social Enterprises are certified and regulated to the European ISO Management Equality standards. Furthermore they have to follow stringent Health & Safety regulations according to German laws, protecting young and vulnerable people.
A regularly elected employee’s council contribute actively to the running and development of the Social Enterprise, this is part of the Social Enterprise constitution

Our learners worked so well and independently, that I had the opportunity to take a short break and access my e-mails in the manager’s office. I carried out interviews in preparation for the blog.
Each of the learners were asked what words they would find useful to know in German, they are as follows:
Bag = tüte
Bulb = knolle
Clip = kammer
Light = licht
Cable = kabel
Panel (of switches) = schalttafel
Wire = leitungen
Tube = rohr
Plastic = plastic
Throw away = wegwerfen
Press & push = dröcken (also appears on doors)
Help = helfen
Bicycle = fuhrrad
Vacuum = straubsauger
Manager = Direktor
Machines = maschine
Box/carton = verpacken
Fire alarm = feueralarm
Listen = hören
Fit = passen
Fix = befestige
Work = arbeiten
Worker = arbeiter

No comments: