Friday 19 October 2007

We can't believe it is Friday! The last day of the working week. We have been here for 5 days. This morning we got up, as usual, at 6.30 and were all showered, dressed and ready to walk up the hill for breakfast, at the college. It hasn't been as cold as we had expected, but there was some drizzle this morning. The taxi's arrived at 8.30 to take us to our work placements.
Group 1 - Suhler Werkstatten
John W: I was making display boxes for shops to use. The supervisor showed me how to do it and then I did it on my own. I had to fold and slot them together. As I finished each box I gave it to Gonzalo who filled it with bike accessories. Teamwork!!!
Gonzalo: After I had finished my work I went and helped a girl with her work. She was in a wheelchair and couldn't reach. The supervisor told me that I had good initiative.
John K:
The first job I did today was a big box of plastic fittings. I had to take two parts off and put them into different boxes. Another job I did was to put two other bits of plastic together.
I wish that I could go somewhere like this in England or in other countries where people like me or people who use wheelchairs can learn skills and get full time or part time work and not have to speak German!
Catherine: I have made friends with a girl called Mendy, she had lunch with us. We were talking and signing . Then her boyfriend Julian came over to join us too. They were fun. Lots of people were talking to us and we were talking to them.
Asha: Good work. Eating, need no money. Money for drink and pudding - yeah. Dancing - yeah - Tuesday.
Judith: I gave the staff of the Suhler Werkstatten a virtual guided tour of EHWLC. They were very interested to see how big the college is, how many sites and how many students there are. I told them about our recent Ofsted inspection and that we are officially the best college in London! They were impressed.

Group 2 - Schleusingen
Kerry Ann: Every morning I wake up to a lovely view, I love it here. When I was at work I noticed that the supervisor was talking to someone, so I went and got a crate and packed the boxes that we had finished so we could get them out. I used my initiative and learnt how to finish a job.
I like it so much here, I want to stay for another week (on top of the three we are supposed to be here!) It is not enough for me, I love it
Jagdeep: We had a very nice lunch today, yesterday they asked us what we would like. The canteen is in a really nice German house next door to the workshop. There was chicken with sauce, vegetables and potatoes. There was orange juice and fruit salad.
Scott: I made friends with Annie, a German girl who is a student at the college and lives in the hostle where we are staying. She came to England last year, her English is alright, she wants to improve. She came to our living room to talk, we were writing and drawing, the others were watching a DVD.
Sean: We are getting to know everyone at our placement, the staff and the students are nice. We had our picture taken with them today. We are talking to each other, we don't always get it, but mostly we do.
Waltraud: Today, as every other day has been very loooooooooooong, (but the wake up calls get shorter!). I had a good chat with the staff and the workers at the workstation and we have many ideas for future projects.
ps I have juust realised that I am German and can watch TV - holaradihüüüüü!!!

Tonight Gonzalo annd Waltraud went shopping whilst Chef's John W; John K; (we washed our Hans first!!!!) Sean; Catherine and Judith prepared a wonderful dinner. Kerry Ann, Sean and Martina cleared up.

We are all looking forward to the weekend. We have lots of plans, but we are most looking forward to a long lie in!!!

1 comment:

Anne Winwood said...

Another brilliant blog that made me lol - especially Waltraud taking five days to remember she was German and could watch TV!!!
The whole division met up today at Acton and I reminded everyone to go onto your brilliant blog site, that you were all working harder than you have probably ever worked before and would probably like to hear from them. Having said that - and you probably won't speak to me when you get back - it is now half-term and unless everyone is like me and checks their worksite, even when on holidays, you may not hear any news for a few days.
It is great that you all seem to be making friends so quickly and I expect you will all be speaking in German to each other soon!!!!!
The day at Acton was really productive and enjoyable and it was good to meet up with the colleagues from our different sites.
Have a wonderful weekend and some long lie-ins!!!!
Anne