Friday 26 October 2007

Thursday 25 October


Group 1 – Suhler Werkstatten

Gonzalos – Tiring but good.
Catherine – I was not looking forward to the day. However, my day got a little better. I worked without much supervision . We were invited to paint and I painted a dolphin. We then went back to work and managed to finish our job. When we left the work placement, I was happy to show off my little bit of German by saying thank you and goodbye.
John K – We finished the jobs which we started yesterday. We put spices into the packages and stacked up the completed parcels. We did some painting which I found very relaxing. We were allowed to paint whatever we wanted to.
John W – Enjoyable. I enjoyed doing the packing of spices and the painting.
Asha – Linda helped me, counting the spices.
Linda –Can not believe this is only my 3rd full day at the placement as the time has gone quickly. We arrived on time and went straight to our work stations. We completed our work which was sorting the best of the spices and putting them into packages. After 1 hour the group was invited to do some free style painting. We went to the paint room and were given water colours and a light wooden board from one of the work shop in which to express ourselves artistically. Judging by the reaction from the team they found this to be very therapeutic. After this session we returned to the spices before going to lunch. By the end our working day (2.00pm) we had managed to complete the job, before the taxi arrived to return us to our accommodation.


Group 2 - Schleusingen

Kerry Ann – In the morning the work was a bit tricky. Jagdeep got into the hang of. I was passing these to a German Frau. I didn’t want lunch, I had two apples and a banana. Later, after lunch we came to do light fittings for bicycles, I was doing very well. One of the German workers came up to me and said in English that I was very beautiful, it made me giggle and blush. I am looking forward to telling people about my experiences here in Germany.
Scott – I did loads of work. Using the drill has been fun. I was not sure what it’s for, the supervisor did tell Judith, but we didn’t really understand what he said at first but then he acted it out – its for a vacuum cleaner.
Jagdeep –I did well this morning, we made electrical parts for a train set. The brown bit was hard to fit, but I could do it. After a lovely lunch, we went to work at a different work station where I was glad to use the machine to fit the lights together.
Martina – The work was a little bit awkward at first when we started the job. Once I got the hang of it, it got better.
Sean– It’s been good. I have been threading wires through a rubber tube (this is for a bicycle lamp). This will fit onto the bulbs that Kerry Ann and Jagdeep were working on.. When we get back I am going to have some more of my birthday cake
Judith – Another busy day, all the students have been learning new skills, developing friendships and interacting with our German partners. The catering students who have been preparing our meals, are really trying to give us food that the students will enjoy. We have looked at the link that Harry T (EHWLC) put on the blog for us and are now able to ask for fruit in German (mostly apples and bananas).
We are really making the most of our time here in Germany. We start the day at 7.00am, we leave at 7.30am for breakfast at the Catering College. From here we are collected by taxi and driven to our placements arriving between 9.00 & 9.15am. We have a short break in the morning, followed by a 45mins lunch break, then another short break in the afternoon. We finish our working day at either 2.00 or 2.30pm when our drivers are waiting to collect us. When we get back to our accommodation we can either go shopping, have a rest , watch DVDs or use the computers (to check comments on our blog). Dinner is served at 5.00pm by the catering students (who provide our breakfast every morning). We also share the accommodation with them. After dinner we have planned fun activities i.e German language, personal development workshops, creative arts or relaxing with free time.
NB Waltraud has kindly seen to our laundry. However, each student is responsible for sorting out their clothing (Waltraud and I have supported those who need a little extra guidance)

1 comment:

Anne Winwood said...

I have been in Brighton for a few days, and have really missed keeping up with your blogs - my God you are kept very busy!! College will seem like a holiday when you get back!?
You have Jason to thank (or not)for the experiences you are getting at the moment - you are certainly packing in so much in every waking hour!!
Have a lovely weekend and a couple of lie-ins!
Lots of love
Anne