Sunday 21 October 2007

Saturday 20th October 2007.
We had such a busy day yesterday that there was no time to update our blog when we got home (it really does feel like home now!!!). So the following comments all relate to yesterdays activiities.
Catherine: After breakfast I helped to clear up, then we went to the shops. We went to see a Catholic church in Meiningen, but there wasn't a service. I met the Father and the Deacon, I told them that I am an alter girl at my church in England and I hold the bible for Father Anthony and Father Richard. The theatre was lovely, and Peter's wife Inga and his daughter Katia and her boyfriend came with us, but I sat next to Peter.
John W: I liked the Italian restauraant, the food was really good, I had spaghetti bolognaise. The waiters were really nice. Afterwards we went to the theatre, it was quite a nice building. It looked nicer at nightime than it did when we saw it in the daytime. I likeed the show, they sang rock and roll, we could see the musicians in the pit, they were dressed in 70's clothes.
Martina: I found it a very nice day out. Peter was very nice showing us around the town were he lives, on his day off. I enjoyed the food and the waiters were nice too.
Gonzalo: Where do I start! Peter took us to see a church and some of us prayed. We went to see the Protestant church, but it was locked so we couldn't get in. We walked around the shops, but most of them were shut. The restaurant was nice, but my pizza wasn't as spicy as I would have liked. The show, even though I don't speak German, was good and I understood the story. Waltraud explained the bits I hadn't got in the interval when we had icecream.
John K: My favourite is the history of Meiningen, especially about the church. All the catholic churches are quite new and built since the Berlin wall came down, because the GDR (German Democtatic Republic) was a prodistant country (so there are only old prodistant churchs). The restaurant was very good, we all laughhed and giggled and gossiped. I liked the show, it made me laugh, it was fantastic.
Scott: We went to a church, an Italian restaurant and the theatre, I liked the songs. I recognised some of them, like 'I love rock and roll' but they channged some of the words. It was called MS Madagaskar and was set on a cruise ship. There was a stowaway and a mother and son who had not seen each other for years and two bags that looked the same (one with a cat in it) and lots of people falling in love and splitting up and falling in love again.
Kerry Ann: I enjoyed the meal and going to the church, I had asked if we could go to one because I like going when I am at home. The show, well those boys really rocked it, in their shorts (they were all on holiday on the ship) I really enjoyed it, they were singing and moving, there was talent and energy on the stage. It was very lively, a good night. I would like to go again - those legs eleven!
Jagdeep: I enjoyed the whole day, from the beginning to the ending. I thought the singing was good. It was my first time, I have never never been in a theatre before. I would like to go again.
Asha: The show - nice. Music - good. Home - phoned Mum, sad, mum cried. Then bed - sleep.
Sean: Going to see the performance, it was funny. The cast of actors were very good. I liked it when they were singing, I recognised some of the songs. I liked 'I love rock and roll', by Suzie Quatro (she was from the 70's) and 'I feel good' by James Brown, the godfather of soul (he died recently).
Waltraud: We had our first homemade breakfast together. A nice example of cooperation with all of us having fun in the kitchen and in the dining room. We have now become a very good team, working well together, even solving c some challenging situations. I really enjoyed driving through the country side, on the way to Meiningen.
Judiith: We had a lovely, relaxing and interesting day. Everyone enjoyed and benefited from the opportunity to have a lie in. We all went to the shops to buy some presents for our families and friends at home, while Waultraud stayed behind to prepare her 'Visible Me' workshop. When we goot back we got ready to go out. Peter arrived to pick us up looking very smart in a suit and tie - our group met the challenge, all looking very smartly dressed for our trip to Meiningen. We drove in two minibuses. Frau Frucker, our driver had very good English, but she wants to get better. We drove through a 3 km tunnel, she explained that this was a new road and the journney used to take an hour. On the way home she explained more about the show(she and the other driver managed to get last minute tickets for the show). We were not the only ones not to get all of the jokes in the show. Lots of the in-jokes were understood by the East Germans, but not the West Germans. We also visited a castle, Peter demonstated the echo effects to everyones ammusement. We went into the Theatre museum, but it was cloosing so we didn't get to see everything. There was also an English garden.

5 comments:

Trisha Keaveny said...

Really enjoying reading your daily blog, sounds like everyone is having great time. Glad you got to do some German cultural visit over the weekend. I can't believe you've already been there a week, it seems to be going so fast. I'm sure there are lots of pictures you'll bring home. Keep up the good work. Trisha Keaveny

Unknown said...

Tom Keaveny says. Glad you are having a good time John. Look forward to hearing all about it when we meet on your birthday.
Did you know that Liverpool won yesterday.

Liz Griffiths said...

I enjoy reading your blog everyday and am impressed how busy you all are. You have had a fantastic trip so far meeting different people and going to interesting places. I look forward to hearing all about it when you come back.

Sue said...

Hi everyone, glad to read that you have had such a fun and productive time during your first week in Germany. You certainly have packed in a great deal. We are working on more German vocabulary for when you get back so that you don’t forget all the words you have learnt. Hope this weeks is as eventful and enjoyable as the first seems.

Have fun

Sue

Lynda said...

Hi everyone from 'Nelson's column'
Great to hear all your news.
Weekend here had everyone gripped by rugby fever. Great for travelling the roads all empty because lots of people watching on tv.
You are certainly packing a lot into your weeks and it sounds really good I am quite jealous that I am not with you all.
John Wood , did I read correctly that you were the chef for the evening good to here you are continuing to expand the skills I saw you use in the kitchen on the residential.
You all seem to be enjoying the food and the restaurants you are visiting.
Kery Ann Brown what's all this about 'legs eleven ' you will have to give me details when you get back, unless you have photos of course.
Jagdeep how lovely the theatre sounds and what fun. As you enjoyed your first theatre experience so much it might be good to go to one of the local theatres when you get back, there is one in Hayes and one in Uxbridge. I will have a word with Alfreda and maybe we can arrange something at the end of the Autumn term.
Well you all seem to be working very hard and I am very proud of you, I hope you are looking after the staff that are with you, remember they are working very hard to.
I may not get chance to contact you for the next week, it is half term here at college and I am going to Spain on Wednesday. If I get chance to access an internet cafe I will keep in touch. If not I will be thinking about you all lots, remember to enjoy this wonderful opportunity before you know it, it will be over. Good luck with your work and have loads of fun. Lynda x
PS Don't forget to take lots of photos